Sunday 16 November 2008

Top 5: Cities

1. Valporaiso (Chile)
This Bohemian enclave on the Chilean coast is just a 10 minute bus journey from one of South America's biggest beach resorts, Vina Del Mar, but packs in 100 times more culture at a 100th of the price.

2. La Paz (Bolivia)

The capitial city of Bolivia has a wild nightlife, crazy daytime cativites (The world's most dangerous road bike ride) and dancing zebras instead of pedestrian crossings. What more could you ask for?

3. Kyoto (Japan)

Just a 2 hour bullet train away from Tokyo, the achingly beautiful Kyoto would be a highlight of any trip. In this city I took in the stunning architecture, developed the 'Gaijin smash' (see July entries) and learnt that my Karaoke song of choice is 'I Want it That Way' by the Backstreet Boys (if there was a 'most worrying things I have learnt about myself this year' top 5 that would be top).

4. Mexico City (Surprisingly Mexico)

Five street tacos for $1 and some of the best nightlife in Latin America alone put this city in my top 5. Did I mention 5 tacos for $1?

5. Pokhora (Nepal)

Nepal's second city is amazingly relaxed and beautifully set on the shores of a lake against a Himalayan backdrop. Cheap beer and steak did help push this up the list though.

No comments: