Saturday 21 June 2008

Mexican Midget Wrestling!

Hello everybody and welcome to the latest installment of my blog. I am currently sitting in an internet cafe in the small town of Creel situated on the Copper Canyon railway in Northern Mexico.

To be honest i'm not a massive fan of the town thus far; it is a bit of a hole and everybody is just trying to sell you things at ridiculous prices. But at least I suppose that I have not come here for the town, but for the surrounding countryside, which I intend on exploring tomorrow. This should make a nice change of pace from the last week which I have spent predominantly in Mexico City with a brief stop of in Chihuahua in Northern Mexico in order to catch the train. Before that I also spent a day exploring the spectacular ruins at Palenque.

Let's start at the beginning. Following my departure from Belize, my first stop off was at the Maya archeological site of Palenque. This was undoubtedly a beautful architectural site and was far easier to explore than Tikal, primarily because i visited on a sunny day as opposed to attempting to look around in a minor hurracaine. The site itself is vast and it's positions in a rainforest full of waterfalls and streams makes it a pleasure to look around.

Following my time in Palenque I decided that instead of spending time on the beach as I had previously planned, I instead decided to head straight for Mexico City. This was largely down to the fact that I have spent a rather large amount of time on the beach recently, and also because I have looked at the prices of Mexican beach resorts at present and it wasn't particularly financially logical. I am however very happy I made this decision as it enabled me to spend more time in Mexico City, which is undoubtedly one of my favourite cities of the trip so far. Aside from the great night life which I experienced in full, I also had a chance to look around the Frida Museum, see Trotsky's final home, visit the Inca ruins at at Teotihuacan (including getting to climb the world's 3rd largest pyramid) and go and see a Mexican wrestling (Lucha Libre) event.
THe wrestling was undoubtedly one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life, particulalry when a midget (above) wrestled a six foot man. You know you shouldn't be laughing, but you cannot really help it.

Anyway i am being asked to leave this internet cafe, so I better go.

I will speak to you all soon

Phil

No comments: